Awaken Our Church--How to Pray
Pray with us for revival and awakening in our hearts, our church, our community, and our world.
Editor's Note: Join us for prayer gatherings in the sanctuary on the next three Wednesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m. or p.m. (Sept. 6, 13, 20).
“Awake, O sleeper,
and arise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you.”
How to pray 1 Peter 2:4-5, 9-10:
“As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house (5), to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ… But you are a chosen race (1), a royal priesthood (2), a holy nation (3), a people for his own possession (4), that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.”
1. Chosen race – Father, help us always to be in awe of your grace, and let it send us to proclaim your grace to people from every tribe, tongue, and nation (Ephesians 1:3-6).
2. Royal priesthood – God, thank you for giving us access to you through Christ, and empower us to seek you with boldness in prayer having Jesus as our forever High Priest (Hebrews 4:14-16). Help us to minister to others in the community in which you’ve placed us, and give us courage and comfort in hard times, that we may share your comfort with others (2 Corinthians 1:3-6). Open our eyes to the great privilege it is to be your priests on earth.
3. Holy nation – God, awaken us to what it means to be set apart from the world, living in a way that reflects you. Revive and renew our church, that we may together shine brightly in a world that desperately needs your light (Matthew 5:13-16).
4. Purchased people – Father, thank you for sending Jesus to pay the penalty we owed for our sin against you. Help us understand the high price Christ paid, and teach us to live as people who have been set free from sin (Galatians 2:20). Teach us to submit our lives to your will and your word.
5. Spiritual house – Lord, give me eyes to see how you have made me to be a member of the spiritual house you are building through the church. Reveal to me ways that you’ve gifted me and how I can use my gifts to build up your church (1 Corinthians 12:4-31). Give me humility to depend on others in my church body.